Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Differences throughout the Book of Psalms

In just the first two lines of Psalms 2, in the Bay book, I’ve noticed that they arrangement of the words have been switched around a little bit. It doesn’t change the meaning of the Psalm, but for someone who has read a different translation of the book of Psalms, they may have to look at it for a little bit longer. They tend to use different words as well. Instead of mountain, the Bay Book uses the word hill.

I decided to translate Psalms 6 through the two different books. I felt that it was easiest to understand the last part of the Psalms. “The lord hears my plea, the Lord will take my prayer. Let all my enemies be shamed and hard stricken, let them turn back, be shamed in an instant.”  The Bay Book translates this in a very similar way, but instead of saying let the enemies be shamed in the beginning the Bay Book doesn’t imply this until the end of the translation.

I feel like the meaning behind the two translations is the same, as it should be. However, they use different words and the way that the Bay Book translation is organized is a little bit confusing and difficult to read. I would rather read the translation that we have for class because it’s easier to read and to me, understand. I don’t feel as if they change throughout the contexts. I just feel that the words have been switched out for other words, and the order of the words have been switched, however, the meaning still means the same thing.

1 comment:

  1. I think you make a really good point. The two translations seem very similar to me also. I was surprised how in many instances the meanings of the words were essentially the same. In some ways writing the Bay book in a verse that can be sung muddled the meaning of the words. I think Alter wrote a much easier version to interpret. The Bay book tells us more about the Protestants culture and Alters book tells the meaning behind the words.

    ReplyDelete