Thursday, September 29, 2011

Bay Book and Psalms.

After our class discussion on Wednesday I began to really think about the Psalms and the different translations. Well, really the translations between the Book of Psalms that we have and the Bay book. I've never really been that big of a religious person, I believe in God, but don't have a religion, and haven't read the Bible before. So, after our discussion I was thinking about the fact that these 'books' aren't just a story about religious figures or the figures we've known to be connected to religion, they're music for people's lives.

While we were talking about the Puritans and the Psalms, I kind of feel like they allowed the books translations to be their, 'instructions' as to what they were supposed to do here. In Psalm 2:8, of the Bay Book, it says "Aske thou of me, and I will give and of the earth thou shalt possesse the utmost coast abroad," this may have seemed to the Puritans that God was on their side when they came here.

I believe that people wanted these "stories" to have a special meaning so they found a way to incorporate that into something that has a meaning for everyone, which would be music. So many people singing the same thing, has to send a message.

1 comment:

  1. You are on a good track here in thinking about the use of psalms for groups. I think you should express yourself without phrases like "I kind of feel like".. Just state what you think and we all know this is an opinion. Also, give yourself a little more space to give and example and comment on it. I think you have things to say about these works..

    ReplyDelete