Thursday, November 10, 2011

Skepticism of Mormonism

While reading the Book of Mormon this week for class, I could not help but be skeptical of this. Maybe it’s because of my own biases and what I myself believe. I honestly, do not know what to believe when it comes to this book. I think that some aspects of this could be his own but at the same time, I find it really difficult to imagine that him at such a young age, 15 years old, could contemplate all of the ideas listed in this book.
                Smith says,
                “And I, being only fifteen years of age, and being somewhat of a sober mind, therefore I was visited of the Lord, and tasted, and knew of the goodness  of Jesus,” (529)

                This is skeptical to me because why out of all of the people that he shared a community with would the Lord pick a 15 year old boy? The fact that he states he was forbidden to preach unto to the people, makes me wonder if this really happened, or if he is just trying to make a case so that people will believe him about this “encounter.”
                I think that he wanted to be able to commit to a religion without having to go through the troubles of everything that he possibly would have had to go through at his age in the video that we saw so he took concepts that people had already been aware of and made them relate to him, and then spoke to the people about it, and they believed him and followed him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment