Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Jesus in America

            While I was reading The Third Book of Nephi, I thought it was interesting how the story was presented. Before Christ had visited the people, there was a storm, earthquakes, and darkness. The darkness lasted for 3 days and then the resurrection of Christ. A figure clothed in white descended from the sky, and presented himself to the people as Christ. I think this series of getting to the presence of Jesus Christ in the Americas is interesting in a sense that it took much damage and disaster to get him there.
            Something that stood out to me was when Smith writes,     
            “And it came to pass that the people began to wax strong in wickedness and abominations; and they did not believe that there should be any more signs or wonders given; and Satan did go about, leading away the hearts of the people, tempting them and causing them that they should do great wickedness in the land,” (463).
            This stood out to me because later on they are given a sign of Jesus Christ. That sign being him simply professing who he is. I find it a little odd, that seeing that Satan had corrupting them and made them believe that their shouldn’t be any more signs or things like that, they immediately believed the sign of Christ. This makes me wonder, if Satan really did corrupt the people, or if they simply let him believe that he did.
            As far as what in their world would be challenged, I’m not sure I can answer that without a biased answer. I’d answer it by saying how can they simply believe Jesus when he comes back and claims that, he is who is when, when they don’t really know that. I say this because, I was taught that Jesus was crucified in front of the people and when he came back, it was known who he was. But, Jesus appeared in the United States and they didn’t know who he was before. So, I guess, the thing I would challenge would be the fact that they believed Jesus was who he said he was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment