Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Religion is Everywhere

While reading the reading for this blog I couldn’t help but think of something religious.  The article throughout the majority made me think back to the Psalms. I say this because the message I got from the Psalms, well, throughout a large portion of the Psalms was the message of God being the almighty, and the powerful, and the helper, and anything that you needed, God would be it for you.
                “He opened his mouth in parables, and his words were sweeter than the purest honey; his whole behaviour was admirable, and his whole aspect pleasant.” (18)
The quote above stood out to me because I thought directly back to the Psalms. I thought right back to the Psalms in which they are talking about the Lord in his greatness.

It’s hard to just talk about one aspect of religion that is included throughout this reading. I’m not exactly sure if this is right, but I get the impression that this was simply their way of writing the stories of the Bible, without the title being directly known as a religious aspect.

First, the obvious religious figures. David, Solomon, Abraham, Noah, all are names that are very closely related to the Bible. Also, the reading mentions Jerusalem, which is an obvious aspect of religion.
This reading has religious aspects threading throughout the entire thing.  
                 
                “Blessed art thou, my lord, in that such wisdom and understanding have been given unto thee…” (25)
I picked this quote out because to me it represents a staple in religion. Looking to the Lord for wisdom and understanding throughout this lifetime.

This reading has multiple aspects of religion intertwined throughout, whether it be something small, or something that religion is based around. I believe that it’s kind of difficult to find something that doesn’t have even one religious aspect intertwined throughout it.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that religion was everywhere in this reading. I actually read the entire thing as though it was a religious text. I definitely found some similarities between this reading and the psalms as well as with Augustine. The similarity I found with Augustine is when they talk about wisdom. In this reading, wisdom is talked about like it is the thing that we all need to strive for. And this is like in Augustine because he believed that fully understanding the scripture and reaching truth is what we should all strive for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devin - The Kebra Negast, as you have pointed out has many similar details to that of religious texts. But I think that this is better pointed out to be a religious text in the sense that it is a more detailed story from the bible about the Queen of Sheba and Solomon. However, I really enjoyed how you compared the small details of the literature to that of what we read in the psalms. It is beautiful writing in both and we can see the similarities in style and in message.

    And I think you have interesting message at the end that it would be hard to find something that isn't religious. I would add to that, that it woudl be difficult to find someone who doesn't have religion as part of them. Even an atheist is religious about what they believe.

    ReplyDelete